

Has school always been so crazy? I mean, When I was in school, the worst thing was fighting. Fighting with the fist was the way this happened. Now, we worry about guns and drugs. Even though we don't usually see them, these things are all around us. As teachers, we don't just teach, we have to police our classrooms. I am probably safe to say that all the schools have patrol on their campuses. How did we get to this? Will we have a time when we don't worry so much? I catch myself wondering about my students taking arguments home and away from people who could help them. I have students that have said that they take their fights outside the school, so that they don't get suspended. Oh my, they don't seem to be worried about the consequences of fighting. The possibility of getting killed. Granted, in Star City we don't have a huge problem at this time. But it just takes one time. Almost makes you scared to even say it out loud. These signs posted around the school are a constant reminder of what can happen or has already happened, somewhere. We aren't just teachers, we are surrogate parents for some of these kids. We have to teach them about consequences of their actions and how important it is to be the "bigger person". How easy it would be to just teach our content.

No comments:
Post a Comment